Caramel apples are so nostalgic for me, as I’m sure they are for many of you. As a kid, I remember the air start to cool. When that happened, those caramel apples in the plastic containers would start lining the produce stands at the grocery store. Man, I loved those things- with peanuts and without.
Well, it’s fall again, and just because we’re no longer those kids begging our parents for that caramel treat, you can get whip up these delicious muffins that deliver the same flavor profile. And guess what? They are healthy! These babies contain only natural sugars provided by the dates and apples in them. There are a few prep steps, so I hope you don’t mind and love these fall babes as much as I do!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup packed medjool dates, about 13-15 depending not the size (instructions on how to make the date syrup below, or you can buy date syrup instead!)
- 1/4 cup date water (if you use date syrup, just add regular ‘ole water)
- 1/4 cup ghee (or butter, but I used ghee, and YUM!)
- 3 eggs
- 2 medium apples
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. If using walnuts, toast for 10 minutes then let cool.
- Next, remove the pits from the medjool dates. Boil water and pour over dates to soak for 20 minutes.
- While those are soaking, add the oats to a blender or food processor and pulse until a flour forms (should be only 15-30 seconds).
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until mixed well.
- Add the eggs to a separate smaller bowl and whisk. Add the ghee and 1/4 cup of the water the dates were soaking in. Stir then pour on top the dry ingredients.
- Use a rubber spatula to mix until all of the dry ingredients combine with the wet ingredients (double check the bottom, where the extra flour tends to hide).
- If the dates are ready, blend only the dates in a blender. Add 1/8 cup of the date water and blend until it forms a caramel.
- Put aside. Heat up a sauté pan over medium heat . Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, add diced (small) apples, and sprinkle generously with cinnamon. Stir, cover and let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally or as needed.
- Now you can add the walnuts (if you used), apples, and date caramel to the mix! Fold in well with rubber spatula- the date is where the sweetness comes from, so you want it to be evenly distributed.
- Oil or line the muffin tin. Use 1/3 measuring cup to add batter in wells. Level out the top of each and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes, and you have yourself some caramel apple muffins!
Fun tip! You can just make the date caramel to dip apples in as a healthy alternative snack snack!