The theme of Thanksgiving this year was taking traditional staples and giving them a fresh look. Insert: Mashed Potato Hush Puppies. They’re basically mashed potatoes with a sprinkle of goodness then baked- yummmmm! I didn’t make the gravy from scratch, but I did purchase the turkey gravy from Trader Joe’s then infused it with fresh sage to add an herby kick. I hope you enjoy them as much as my husband and I did!
Prep time: 32 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes
Serving size: 4 hush puppies Serves: 4
- 1 lb baby red potatoes
- 3 Tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 3/4 tsp salt (use 1/4 + 1/2 tsp separately)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- Optional for seasonings: dried or fresh thyme and oregano
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (use 1/2 + 1/2 cup separately)
- 2 eggs
- olive oil spray
- Optional: pre-made or homemade gravy with fresh sage
- Fill a large pot halfway with water. Bring to a boil. Add a generous sprinkle of salt and whole potatoes after washing. Boil for 30 minutes.
- Once you can easily stick a fork in the potatoes, remove from heat. Pour into a colander then transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes well (with skin intact) with a masher or fork. Add the melted ghee or butter, 1/2 cup parm, salt and pepper. You can even add herbs inside if you’d like too!
- Stir well, then place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or until cool.
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove from fridge. Form into little balls, perhaps 1/4 cup in size. They should maintain form.
- Grab two small bowls. Break two eggs into one and mix. Add the breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup other parm, and a touch of salt, pepper or other seasonings as desired in another small bowl.
- Cover 1 potato ball in egg. Let drip being transferring to other bowl and coating with breadcrumb mix. Continue to do this until complete.
- Add potato balls to sheet. Liberally spray or coat with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Check 15 minutes in to see if breadcrumbs are turning golden. If they aren’t, add another coat of olive oil.
- Remove from oven. Let cool. If using gravy, heat up with freshly chopped sage to add flavor. You can either pour the gravy over the hush puppies or dip the potatoes in the gravy.
Nom nom! Enjoy every hush puppy bite!