Christmas is nearly two weeks away, and with the holiday season in full swing, we need all the easy recipes we can get our hands on! Am I right? Today I am sharing my Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies with you. Not only are these yummy treats extremely tasty, but they are healthy too! The brownies are black bean based, the frosting contains a veggie, and the dark chocolate I used has 9x more flavanols (an antioxidant) than regular chocolate! Have your cake and eat it too!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
Prep time: 5 minutes
Baking time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 2 packets of Flavanaturals cocoa powder OR 6 Tbsp other cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- sprinkle of Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/3 cup salted almond butter (I like and use Trader Joe’s)
- 1 tsp vanilla (going to try vanilla bean next time)
- 1 chopped dark chocolate bar (I used TJ’s The Dark Lover’s Chocolate Bar)
- 3/4 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 bar melted dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 packet or 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Crushed candy canes to top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly oil a loaf pan. I like to oil my baked goods pans with coconut oil.
- Blend all of the brownie batter ingredients besides the chopped chocolate bar until smooth.
- Add the chopped chocolate bar and mix. Transfer to the oiled loaf pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick or knife doesn’t lift batter.
- Let cool for 30 minutes. While you are waiting, make the frosting by adding 3/4 cup of sweet potato puree to a food processor. Melt 1 bar of dark chocolate, and add this and the remaining ingredients to the mixture. Process until light and fluffy.
- Once the brownies cool, ice your brownies and sprinkle with crushed candy canes!
If you’re not into the sweet potato frosting, try homemade whipped coconut cream! Another delicious and healthy alternative to regular frosting. Enjoy, and come back soon for more holiday recipes!