Super Veggie Burgers

20180817172703_IMG_1378

Veggie burgers are easier to find than they used to be- at the store, local restaurants, and even at pubs and burger joints. The trick is finding the veggie burger that resonates with your taste buds, aka one that is drool worthy!

Last week I was craving a sweet potato black bean burger, so I decided to brave the task of creating my own recipe. With Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi hot on the food scene, I thought to incorporate a cup of that bad boy in my recipe, along with the binder of molasses instead of your standard eggs. Both of these additives bump the nutritional value. Cauliflower adds to your dose of vitamin C and B, and molasses contains a significant amount of iron (not to mention the unique flavor it creates!).

So with sweet potato, cauliflower, green onions, and spinach (as a topping), you end up with a whopping 4 veggies in this addictive burg. I topped mine with avocado (fruit serving), and with brown rice (grain) and black beans (legume-protein) in the mix, you end up with a balanced and nutritious meal for you and your guests! I really can’t talk the addition of molasses up enough. It’s what makes this veggie burger stand out from the rest. Try it out and let me know what you think! Enjoy lovelies!

Super Veggie Burgers

Prep time: 10-45 minutes (depends if the rice and sweet potato are pre-cooked)

Bake time: 40 minutes

Yields: 5-6 burger patties

Ingredients

Burger

  • 1 cup black beans
  • 1 cup cauliflower gnocchi (from Trader Joe’s)
  • 1 1/2 cups sweet potato puree (fresh or canned)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions (optional)
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup toasted crushed walnuts OR 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I used chickpea crumbs)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • whole wheat bread/bun/British muffin (what I used)

Toppings (all optional)

  • Spinach or Kale (I wanted to try the Miso Greens from the new Run Fast cookbook, but I couldn’t find miso anywhere! Ordering it on Amazon right now 😉 )
  • Avocado
  • Sauce of choice
  • Grilled onions

Directions

  • Cook rice according to package instructions if it is not already cooked. In addition to this prep, boil 1 large sweet potato for 30 minutes if you are not using canned sweet potato puree.
  • Preheat oven to 375F. While heating, prep your burger patties.
  • Drain 1 can of unsalted black beans. Measure 1 cup and place in large mixing bowl. Mash the beans with a fork until 75% of them are mashed, leaving 25% of the beans whole or somewhat intact.
  • Add 1/4 molasses to the beans, along with all of the spices. Mix.
  • When the rice is done, drain and allow to cool. When the sweet potato is ready, drain and place skinless in a blender.
  • Microwave the Cauliflower Gnocchi for 5-6 minutes, as listed on package instructions. When cooked, add 1 cup to the blender. Blend on high until mixed.
  • Add the sweet potato and cauliflower mixture to the bowl, along with the walnuts or breadcrumbs and chopped green onions. Mix until evenly distributed.
  • Form patties using 1/2 or 3/4 cup to measure. I like mine thick, so I used the 3/4 cup. This formed 5 patties.
  • Bake for 40 minutes. Flip burger patties half way through. Keep in mind that they may be mushy still, so be careful when flipping. I recommend using a spatula and an oven mitt.
  • Remove from oven after 40 minutes and allow to cool and set for 10-15 minutes. Toast your bread/bun if desired, add sauce, a burger patty and toppings to dress it up! Chow down!

20180817172656_IMG_1377

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s