Prep time: 0
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 6-8, depending on how much sauce you and your guests like! (I like to douse my food!)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1.5 Tbsp spicy mustard (you may use plain)
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp chili powder (may use more if desired)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coconut sugar OR 1 Tbsp honey
- dash of salt and fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F. When ready, roast halved yellow onion with a drizzle of olive oil for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the remaining ingredients to a blender.
- Add the yellow onion after it slightly cools and blend!
1, 2, 3 and you have yourself a delicious Vegan BBQ Sauce, ladies and gents!
I first used this homemade sauce to marinate tempeh I got from nowhere other than Trader Joe’s, of course. I broke apart the tempeh to small bits and used about 1/2 of the sauce to mix it with. Let this sit overnight and sauté with a light oil spray when ready to eat. Mu husband says it taste healthy, but all I taste is a bbq sauce made from fresh ingredients and not ridden with a large amount of sugar. 🙂 Let me know what you think, and enjoy!