With summer in the air, I’ve been craving a light and fresh salad that’s different from the typical berry and walnut variety. Let me introduce this delightful medley- the Sesame Kale, Grapefruit and Pistachio Salad! It’s a mouthfeel, I know, but quite redeeming with it’s flavor profile. That’s why I couldn’t leave any of those ingredients out of the name!
The massaged kale serves as the traditional leafy salad foundation. The sesame seeds and oil and avocado add healthy fats to your meal count. The toasted pistachios are a healthy fat as well but also deliver a lovely crunch component to the dish. The grapefruit delivers a punch of vitamin C and counts as your fruit serving. Lastly, the cucumber hydrates you and cools you off in the summer heat! Can’t really ask for more from one ensalada! Let me tell you that the salad dressing really ties these ingredients together too.
I claim this as my summer salad of 2018! I encourage you to try it out. You may find the recipe below!
Sesame Kale, Grapefruit and Pistachio Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes to toast pistachios (not required)
- 2 cups kale
- 1 persian cucumber
- 1/2 grapefruit
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios
- 1/2 avocado
- Sesame seeds OR TJ’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
- 1/8 cup + 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- Wash kale, cucumber, grapefruit and avocado before cutting. It’s good to get in the habit of washing nearly all of your produce! 😉
- De-stem kale. Place in a medium size bowl.
- Combine three ingredients for dressing and shake until mixed. Pour the salad dressing over the kale and massage for about a minute or until softened. Let sit.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toast pistachios for 10 minutes when the oven is ready.
- In the meantime, prepare the remaining salad components by slicing the cucumber 1/4 inch thick, dissecting the grapefruit slices, and slicing or cubing avocado. Add these ingredients to the kale.
- Add pistachios when cool and toss. Sprinkle with sesame seeds or TJ’s seasoning and immediately comment on this page to tell me how good it is! Enjoy my friends!